Sunday, November 29, 2009

no answers

I care very deeply for the people I get close to- I mean truly, very deeply. That includes so many kids I cannot even name them all anymore. Most of my days are filled with lots of joy and love, hugs and fun and laughter as I learn and work with my kids in the classroom and on the playground and wherever we are.

But sometimes there are moments of great sorrow and hurt. Sometimes a child opens up and shares things that break your heart; often they don't even know how to express it or you have to learn to read the behavior, the attitude to see beyond that to the heart. Recently I was asked "Mrs. Thomas, why does ___ have to cuss me out everyday when ___ drops me off? Why?!?!?" The hurt in the eyes of this child broke my heart and made me want to cry, but of course I couldn't do that there in class.

Sometimes there just are no answers you can give. Sometimes you can only listen and care and be there. Those moments are hard, but I am thankful that I get to be the one who is there. I just hope and pray that my being there will somehow, in some way, make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. Those are the moments that being a compassionate person is the hardest. Still - so important! Keep on writing, it can do a lot putting your heart into words :)

    ReplyDelete