Monday, May 07, 2007

Waiting Room Nerves

Please join me in the waiting room. :) I am nervous and excited!!! Today was "Hatching Day" in my classroom, and my children and I (as well as much of the school) have been eagerly awaiting this day. Since I have never done this project before, I was not quite sure what too expect. We all kept checking the incubator every few minutes hoping to see a chick. It must be hard work to break through all that! By day's end (which was 6 PM for me today), I saw six eggs with their first pip marks. I could hear the chicks chirping too through their shells and through the incubator! I can't wait to go back and see what we have in the morning. We did have one early hatcher that didn't survive, and we had to talk about life today. I was very proud of my students. I was more upset about this death than they were. One little kinderkid told me, very sweetly, "It's okay, Mrs. Thomas; that's part of life." :) Guess they do listen to me, huh? :) I am so grateful and thankful that a couple coworkers came and helped me. One lady, LeAnne, did the "dirty" work of opening up the eggshell a bit and looking at the baby chick. And Sarah helped me make the decision of whether it was alive or not. I hated that part!!! But, as my little one reminded me, this is part of life. Not all creatures survive or live a full life.
Thanks God, for the life you've given me and the opportunity to be a part of my kinderkids' lives!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:29 PM

    Thanks for sharing your blog with me. I look forward to reading it every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness - i have to tell you about the baby bird that died here...so awful.

    ReplyDelete