Monday, January 31, 2011

Things that made me smile today

  • I introduced fractions to my class today. I have never taught fractions at this higher level before, so I was/am nervous! :) I brought fruit to class and after we made bubble maps of the word "fraction" (a sort of pre-assessment for me), and after I introduced some vocabulary, the kids & I cut up fruit into fractions. They each got to "order" their fraction fruit using the correct vocabulary. OH MY WORD!!!!! This was a HUGE hit!!!!! You'd have thought I brought gold or Christmas toys, they were so excited about fruit. I have many kids that I know for sure/or have strong suspicions don't always get to eat at home and this just confirmed it for me. I think I'll start bringing a bag of fruit a couple times a month. And several kids kept asking me, "Where did you buy this fruit, Mrs. T.? I'm going to ask my mom/dad to go there and buy this!" Like they'd never seen it before!
  • One of my girls just tickled me how much she loved the little fresh mandarin oranges after she'd finally got brave enough to try one. She kept coming up and asking me, "Can I have 3/10 please?" "4/10?" "9/10?" :) She'd have eaten all my oranges if I let her!!!! Then it finally dawned on her, "Mrs. Thomas, are these the ones you wanted me to try last week at lunch?" :)
  • Eating at our favorite Mexican restaurant tonight with Rob, Matthew, Barbara, and one of my self-claimed daughters, Rita. I LOVE that young lady, and was so happy when I got home and she was there! So since it was payday, and we had survived to the day (thank you God!), we took everyone out for supper. YUMMO! I couldn't finish my plate (a good sign!!!) so Matthew helped me finish my meal.
  • Getting almost all my papers from last week graded- about 1/3 the stack remains, but it will have to keep for another night!
I'm off of here to email, check facebook and get ready for work tomorrow and head to sleep. Hope you are all having a great start to the week. Thinking of my family back home and hoping they stay warm and safe in the blizzard! Wishing I could be snowed in with you.

Love,
Rebekah :)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE those moments! I miss that about teaching, I really do.

    I always ate lunch with my kiddos, and one spring they were eyeballing my fresh strawberries. I found out most of them had never had one--some were even afraid to try. After that, I brought in a new fresh fruit once a week for them to "discover". Ahh. Good memories. :o)

    I hope all of your family stays safe and warm, Rebekah.

    HUGS! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a "fruit" pizza party for Valentine's Day a few years ago when I had 2nd graders. We used it as a fraction lesson and our Valentine's Day celebration with them passing out candy at the end. I loved it b/c I we actually used our "party" to learn & eat healthy! I asked parents to donate things like bananas, apples, oranges, cherry filling (I know not healthy but was good on pizza!) and then I brought in other things...cream cheese and graham crackers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Bev, that's a GREAT idea! I'm going to do that!!!! They would LOVE it, and it fits perfectly with what we are doing in math! :) Thanks, Bev!!!

    ReplyDelete