Saturday, January 15, 2011

the things you might hear in my classroom

This past week I had a student (3rd grade, remember) get seriously indignant with me during our "Math Madness" time (Math Madness is an EOG prep booklet- each day we do ten math problems covering all strands of math- we go through the problems together, the kids & I). Now, let me say that getting upset with the teacher is nothing new under the sun, I know; getting mad at the teacher in my room is a daily occurrence- not a big deal at all. But what he was upset about was new to me! He wanted me to do his work. I already was working through the problems with the kids, then we all talked about which answer choices of the four were not good answers and which was and why. We would all say the correct answer out loud together and "bubble it in"- if he didn't want to learn but just get a decent grade, all he had to do was half listen and copy whoever was writing the solution on the board. He shouted at me, "Why can't you just do this work for us?" SERIOUSLY?????????? I thought he was kidding at first, but he wasn't. I'll spare you the details of the rest of the conversation as he was pretty ugly, and I was in complete shock. And this from a nine year old?????? Are you kidding me??????? What is wrong in our society????

And then yesterday, I heard a new reference to, well you know, "romance." It was one of those "yo' mama" comments but it was quite vulgar and it involved a student's mama and another student. WOW! Never heard it referred to in that way, and I never knew a nine year old could know that much about it.

Yeah, I'm pretty disgusted right now.

On a happy note:
  • I wanted to do an exploration thing with my kids and the concept of capacity. I felt they needed to "play" with containers and experiment with the concept of how many quarts are in a gallon, pints in a quart, etc. by playing with pouring rice, water, or something into containers. So we did, and the kids LOVED it, and I think it helped them "get" it more! We were supposed to be having visitors pop in on us, and I was so hoping they'd see my kids actively engaged in this task. Oh well, of course that didn't happen, but the important thing is my kids were learning and having fun. That is what really matters!
  • I may still be dealing with a lot of behaviors that are quite challenging in my classroom, but my students ARE making HUGE HUGE HUGE growth in the way they behave, in their level of work, in their respect towards each other and myself. Even my "friend" up there with the yo' mama comment- just two months ago that would have been a fist fight and lots of threats for retaliation. Now it's just a yo' mama comment that goes to a tattle and is resolved within a few minutes. Yesterday one of my kids sat down with me and said, "Mrs. T., I'm getting better aren't I? I don't get so mad anymore." It was a big moment for us both, and I was so thankful I got to be the one sitting there with her as she made this realization. I have so been regretting my move to third grade- SOOOOOOOO regretting. For me, personally, it was the single most stupid thing I've ever done in my teaching life. But, I moved up to be with this child, and so I am glad still somewhere, deep down inside (where it counts) that I did. In spite of it all. These things will never show up on the test that is used to judge me as a teacher, but in life, I think I have helped them grow up. I am proud of the work we have done together even if no one else ever notices the good in all of us. Because if the kids notice their growth and if they truly change, well that is what will make a difference in their lives- not a test score, not what my boss or her boss or the governor or even President Obama thinks. Not some stupid law or the politics of education either, but if the kids can learn to change their own futures by working and growing and learning- maybe their lives will become something altogether better and more bright. Maybe.
  • I made it through another very stressful day, and was able to laugh and joke with my kids and be happy in my classroom.
I'm going to get groceries soon. Rob & I have a funeral to go to this afternoon. I have report cards, PEP's, lesson plans all for work and grad school- I still have no clue what all I have to do or how to do it, but I'll be working on something for it I'm sure. :)

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Rebekah,

    I bet I could pick out the kids you are talking about. Others HAVE noticed how you are helping them grow and change too, probably not as much as you, since you are with them everyday. Maybe not those people who take 2 seconds to look in and criticize because they don't know where those kids started and how far you've helped them come. But the kids notice and your right THAT is what matters, how they feel about their experience at school, so that they will continue wanting to learn and improve.

    Your young lady has truly made tremendous growth and anyone who knew her last year can see the growth she has made.

    You and I both know that sometimes the most important learning a child does may NEVER show up on a test, but the growth they make will make it possible for them to someday show growth on a test because they've overcome what was holding them back.

    You have a challenging class, no one with any sense would say otherwise! You know that learning those social skills, as that seems to be where a lot of the learning occurs sometimes, will be what leads them to be productive citizens in our world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bev,
    No words except "thank you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is NO way I can improve upon what Bev said. She said it all perfectly. :o)

    Well done, my friend! :o)

    ReplyDelete